Monday, March 23, 2015

Lindsey's Custom Quilt

Lindsey has finally received her quilt so I can share actual photos of the construction! Jesse had contacted me about making this quilt for Lindsey originally as a Christmas gift. No way was I going to make that deadline so we decided maybe Valentine's Day. Nope, that didn't happen either! We finally made it happen for their wedding anniversary in March. Jesse spotted a baby quilt I had made and wanted that, only queen sized. There was just one problem . . . that fabric line was two years old and it was REALLY hard to find! This pattern is made for jelly rolls so I was really hoping to find a few of those but no luck. I feel fortunate to have found most of the collection atone of my local quilt shops. Aside from three, all the rest of the fabric is from Kate Spain's Cuzco line. 

No jelly rolls so that meant cutting what felt like a million 2.5" strips. 



Those strips them were sewn together in 6-strip sections.



Then those were cut into 6.5" half-blocks, which were then combined to make the 12.5" blocks. 


Here they are all laid out, ready to sew together! I had some extras so I added an extra strip on the bottom. I don't think a quilt can be too big--I like to have enough to hang over the edges of the bed.


 Well, it turned out to be king sized so I don't think overhang will be an issue!


I've never done it before, but since I had so many scraps left over I decided to add a strip of scraps across the back of the quilt. The scraps included some from the original quilt that caught Jesse's eye, with some of the fabrics I couldn't get.


Off it went to the quilter! I prepared and applied the binding as soon as I got it back. I chose one of the fabrics I used in the quilt to tie it all together. 


The final product! I got the binding done on Saturday and it shipped out right away to Montana, arriving the day before Jesse & Lindsey's wedding anniversary! That was some luck! It was an honor to make this for them and I hope the use it for many years to come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment